36 Hours in Philly: Favorite Sites

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. We stuffed ourselves to the brim and it was awesome. Whilst I enjoy my long weekend and full belly, I decided to blog about Flip Flip Flipadelphia! That's an It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia reference, for those of you who aren't fans of the show.

A few weekends ago, I went to Philadelphia with my sister to visit my cousin and her husband. They're the ones that used to live in Houston. I think my whole extended family - those of us that live in the northeast - was pretty excited to have them living so much closer. We did a ton of walking; Philadelphia is super walkable. And I have some snaps and recommended activities to share! This is quite a photo-heavy post; you've been warned.
The drive was a quick hour and forty-five minutes.


We arrived at S&E's apartment and dropped off our stuff. Before heading out, we played with Cat (a.k.a. Zoltan). E taught Cat to high-five. It was one of the cutest things ever. I just love animals and their talents.
Even though it was chilly, it was a gorgeous day out.
Philadelphia Library Rare Book Department
If you're a history buff and a book lover, I would definitely recommend a visit to the library's rare book department. It's totally free and super cool. The library itself is gorgeous, so if you like architecture, this is a fun stop for that too.
We had missed the (free) tour so we were only allowed to explore the lobby portion and the astrology display. No biggie though, as this was enough fun for us and we're not big on (boring) tours.
JFK Plaza a.k.a. Love Park
They were starting to set up the Christmas Village at the Love Park the weekend we were visiting. I wished they'd been fully set up, but it was nice just to see the tree. If you're an avid instagrammer, this is where you need to come and pose.
Watch out for scammers who want to take photos for you. Some are harmless enough, but others won't return your camera until you've paid them for their "services."
The best option is to go with people you know and like and have them do the photographing.
Philadelphia City Hall
Just across the street from the Love Park is City Hall. If you've ever been to Paris, you might notice that its architecture is remarkably similar to Hôtel de Ville. Also similarly, this one also has an ice skating rink set up in the cold season.
There's plenty of seating in the courtyard, if you're looking to rest your little tootsies for a bit.
Independence Hall
Of course, if you're in Philly, you've got to visit this area of town. It's almost as if you've traveled back in time. We didn't actually go inside the buildings or check out the Liberty Bell, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't either.
Elfreth's Alley
Elfreth's Alley is America's oldest street; it basically looks just as it did hundreds of years ago when it was first established. This is another hot spot for you Instagrammers.
And, I don't know, if you're looking for some new digs, there are several homes for sale here.
Betsy Ross House
Heading out of Elfreth's Alley, you're likely to run into Betsy Ross's house. You know, the seamstress who made the Colonial flag. For some reason, there's a fountain with cat statuaries in her front yard. I feel like whoever put it there was trying to make her out to be some sort of spinster.
There's tons of Ben Franklin stuff everywhere you go. This statue's a particularly cute one, I think.
This is probably a cool spot, if you're into money. And not into money like a gold digger. Into money like, a coin collector or someone who enjoys the printing and minting process.
Big Ben at Franklin Town
Yet another Ben statue. Dude is popular in this town.
Mutter Museum
The Mutter Museum is not for those with queasy stomachs. It's a super gross display of medical oddities and lots of nasty looking wax replicas as well as actual wet specimens. I freaking loved it because I love getting kind of grossed out and creeped out and scared. Lucky for most of you, photography isn't allowed inside the display area, so I don't have any nasty snaps to share. However, I will tell you that there is a "megacolon" on display. There was a man whose colon grew humongous and blocked up with 40 lbs. of poo. And that actual dried out colon is on display. GROSS, RIGHT?!
If you're interested in my cape or sweater dresses, I thought I'd pop them in here.


Philly is an excellent town to visit. I don't know that I would fly here, but if you live in the northeast (of the United States, duh) and you're looking for a weekend getaway, come here.

By the way, I'm sharing the food in a separate post, so come back for that!

xoxo.

Comments