Maya Island Air

You may or may not know that I am headed to Belize at the end of June/beginning of July and I am quite excited about it. I also mentioned that we are staying on Ambergris Caye and that we'll need to take a flight or ferry from Belize City. I booked our flights via Maya Island Air just a couple of weeks ago through their super easy website. It cost $135 per person, round trip, and that amount includes fees and taxes. (FYI, you can also purchase tickets through Tropic Air for a v. similar price, maybe just a few cents more).

After a bit of research, I learned that they don't allow any carry-on bags! The only items that can accompany you on the plane are small ones that will fit on your lap. Why? Because the planes are tiny (and awesome)! Their largest planes seat 12 passengers and their smallest planes seat just 7. I'm quite excited about the flight because I've never been on such a small plane before and I assume the view is going to be quite spectacular. I'm definitely going to have my camera at the ready. By the way, there is no assigned seating on these flights but I'm under the impression it doesn't even matter because everyone gets a window seat AND an aisle seat combo, as there are just single rows of seats on each side.

Because the planes are on the smaller side, their free luggage allowance is up to 50 lbs with a dimension limitation of 62" (length + width + height). They also recommend you use a soft bag that can be mushed into fitting the cargo space. If your luggage does not fit, it may need to be placed on a different flight and you will have to wait for it. I have soft luggage and it's carry-on size (because I never check bags) so I'm not worried. Plus, since it's a tropical climate, I'm packing small clothes and swimsuits that won't take up a ton of room anyway AND I'll probably be sharing luggage with my sister (as we tend to do on these trips). Makes me glad that I'm already a "less is more" kind of gal. The rules for Tropic Air are just slightly different, as they allow two checked bags with a 33 lb limit for each.

By the way, visit the website (and the website of any airline you choose) to check up on the time limitations on ticketing and checking bags and all that jazz so that you can be as prepared as possible. Also, don't forget to check out the customs rules of any country you visit to make sure you don't bring anything that may be confiscated. I checked Belize's recently to find out if they had any rules on bringing food (we wanted to bring some stuff down to stock the kitchen in our hotel suite) and I found out you basically can't bring any food so that's that.

Cheers.

Comments