Belize!

A couple days ago, I booked a trip to Belize and I am really excited. We're flying into Belize City and then taking a short flight to San Pedro Airport and then hopping on a water taxi to our hotel. We'll be staying right in San Pedro which is a part of Ambergris Caye (pronounced "key"). At the southern tip of the caye is the Hol Chan Marine Reserve which boasts some of the best snorkeling in the world so I am really happy.

I booked the trip through hotels.com because my Chase Freedom card offers 4 extra points per dollar spent through the Ultimate Rewards program. I used kayak to compare a few sites like Priceline and Expedia and they were all the same and none of the sites were having particularly amazing specials. The Ultimate Rewards program only offers 1 extra point per dollar spent for Priceline and Expedia.

I'm going with my family (sister and dad) and it was $1300 per person. The hotel we're staying in is The Palms Oceanfront Suites which is located right in town and is ranked #6 (out of 51) on TripAdvisor. The nightly rate was on the order of $200/night for this particular hotel but you can find hostels for $15/night and lower end hotels for $50/night and then on the other end of the spectrum, you can find amazing resorts for $500+/night.

Choosing the right hotel is a bit of work because, if you are like me and don't have unlimited funds, you need to find a nice hotel with decent amenities within your budget and it's always a balancing game between trying not to spend too much while avoiding dumps disguised as nice hotels. That's why TripAdvisor is an amazing tool because you can read real reviews and see ranks and average prices all in one spot.

I'm really excited to snorkel and explore Mayan ruins so stay tuned for some more posts about Belize!

Comments