Happy Earth Day!

Hello! In honor of Earth Day, I'd like to share the succulent plant I bought yesterday at the Williamsburg Flea Market. I'll be sharing a bit about the flea market itself later this week (which by the way, is also a great way to be green, since it's highlighting the phrase "reduce, reuse, recycle"). I love plants, as they look great, but they also provide us with oxygen. However, I'm a terrible plant caretaker because I tend to forget to water them but succulents are a fantastic solution.
I bought my hanging terrarium from the Sticks and Stones booth - please visit her Etsy shop. I'd read about succulents a while ago when I was researching easy-to-care-for plants to bring to my office. I bought some paperwhites bulbs a few months ago and it was a lot of fun watching them sprout and then flower but right now, it's almost dead because I'm a horrible plant owner. Succulents require v. little maintenance, as they only need to be watered once or twice a month. They do need a consistent amount of sunlight and protection from extreme weather conditions (so keep away from open windows and heaters and fans). Sticks and Stones provided me with a little instruction sheet which just explains what I just wrote about the watering schedule and maintenance.
You can certainly make a terrarium yourself as none of the supplies are difficult to find (by the way, Sticks and Stones also sells DIY kits). Succulent plants are most likely available at your nearby gardening shop. I've seen them in the gardening section of Home Depot (and Lowes) too. You'll also need a glass container (or a terracotta pot), some pebbles to line the bottom, a bit of charcoal to prevent mold growth, potting soil (preferably organic), and then optional are the decorative features like moss and figurines and the like.

Here's a shot of my plant: I chose a dinosaur figurine and the succulent plant I got actually blooms!


And here's a shot of Sticks and Stones' business card for your reference:
I hope this post encourages you to incorporate a little more green into your life! Again, happy earth day.

Cheers.

Comments