Cappadocia: Day 5

For our fifth day abroad, we'd booked flights and shuttles to Göreme, which is a little town in the region of Cappadocia. Cappadocia is famous for its cave dwellings and interesting landscape. You can actually book a cave hotel and stay here but I'm claustrophobic and the idea of sleeping in an enclosed rock structure scares me a bit. It turns out we'd made a really good decision because one day was plenty of time to explore the town; plus, we're not really "country" folk and it's seriously minimal, old-fashioned living out there.

The plane ride was really quick, just a little over an hour, and our shuttle was waiting for us. The shuttle took about an hour to get us from Kayseri Airport to the town center, but that was fine with me since I was tired from our early morning (we woke up at around 4:00 to be able to get to the airport by 6:00 for our 8:00 flight).

Itinerary:
lunch at Kale Terasse
Open Air Museum (15 TL)
My House Cafe Restaurant
airport - Arby's chicken nuggets for breakfast

lunch at Kale Terasse - beef with vegetables in a stone pot - one of the best things I ate the entire trip
on our way to the Open Air Museum (took us about 30 minutes from the bus stop)
pretty scenery walking to Open Air Museum
Open Air Museum
the snow made the stone paths really slippery
I need to explain a little bit about this dish. I decided to order a testi kebab at My House Cafe Restaurant, which is also known as pottery kebab. I prefer "pottery" to "testi" but that's neither here nor there. Anyway, it's really delicious but it's also fun because the waiter brings out a sealed vase-shaped pot and then cracks it open to reveal the amazing food that's been stewing inside. It's incredible.
At the end of the day, we headed back to the airport where I was sent into a slight shock because the restrooms were the really really dated kind (meaning they were just holes in the ground that you squat over) and apparently deodorant is a foreign idea because everyone was so smelly! I was seriously miserable in the airport and during the plane ride because of the smell. Other than that though, it was a v. enjoyable day.

Comments