I despise working out because I don't find it enjoyable. I love hiking and snorkeling and biking and swimming, but these are not necessarily easily accessible activities on a day-to-day basis, especially considering the winters in the northeast are rather brutal and there's also the obvious point that there are no coral reefs around here. I did work out quite a bit in college and for a while after I graduated but when I started traveling for work and life got busier, I lost all motivation.
My workout schedule lately has been as follows:
- Monday bunday - 25 minutes on the treadmill which includes a 2 minute warm up, 20 minutes of intervals between running and walking on a steep incline, and a 3 minute cool down. After cardio, get on the mat and do some booty workouts, which include donkey kicks, donkey kicks on elbows, kickbacks, glute bridges, single leg glute bridges, lunges, and squats. I like to do 4 to 6 sets, 10 reps of each motion. [Monday's playlist includes: Anaconda - Nicki Minaj, Back That Azz Up - Juvenile, Get Ur Freak On - Missy Elliot, Slow Jamz - Twista, Lolli Lolli - Three 6 Mafia]
- tummy Tuesday - 25 minutes on the elliptical which includes a 2 minute warm up, 20 minutes of intervals at various stride lengths and resistances (and a few minutes going backwards), and a 3 minute cool down. After cardio, get on the mat and do some ab workouts, which include crunches on the bosu, side oblique crunches, supermans, swimming kicks, leg lifts, and planks. I like to do 5 to 6 sets, 10 reps of each motion. [Tuesday's playlist includes: No Diggity - Blackstreet, Look At Me Now - Chris Brown, Formation - Beyonce, Walk It Out - Unk, Remember the Name - Fort Minor]
- thorough Thursday - 25 minutes on the lateral elliptical which includes a 2 minute warm up, 20 minutes of intervals at various stride lengths and resistances (varying the motions in both directions), and a 3 minute cool down. After cardio, get on some weight machines and work on arms and legs, which includes the bicep curl machine (25 lbs), the tricep push machine (40 lbs), and the leg press (50 lbs). I like to do 3 sets, 10 reps of each motion. After that, I'll work on my core with downward dog crunches, inchworms, and body crawls. I like to do 3 sets, 10 reps of each motion. [Thursday's playlist includes: Run The World - Beyonce, 212 - Azealia Banks, Truffle Butter - Nicki Minaj, All I Do Is Win - DJ Khaled, Lose Control - Missy Elliot]
- On Wednesdays, I have a pottery wheel class so I skip the gym. Fridays, I give myself a little break. And on weekends (weather permitting) I'm pretty active outdoors. My sister and I have been going on bike rides (which I'll share more about soon) and when the weather gets nicer, we'll be hitting up Ramapo Reservation a lot more.
- Oh, and during cardio, I like to listen to On Off - Cirez D (Sebastien Leger Remix). It's repetitive, but it has a good beat and helps me keep a consistent pace.
I'm not really interested in tracking my weight, although, I am keeping a casual food and fitness diary just to make sure that 'calories in' are never more than 'calories out.' Instead, I'll be measuring my progress with how I feel, how my clothes fit, and how I look. And perhaps if I'm really brave, I'll share some before and after photographs eventually, if there's a noteworthy difference.
I wanted to put together this post as an accountability measure; if I announce it on the internet, I have to stick to it, right?