1 Week in Bogota: Day 4 & 5 Tabio & Subachoque

On my seventh day in Colombia, I woke up in Medellin. L and I had time to leisurely eat breakfast and then head to the airport. Since we were flying domestic, we knew we wouldn't have to deal with passport control and when you fly domestic in Colombia you're allowed to have liquids with you; it's pretty casual.
I had my usual breakfast of pancakes and I sprung for the bacon the second day in a row.


We took an Uber to San Diego and then hopped on a bus to the airport.
When we landed in Bogota, I was feeling peckish so I got an empanada and this candy bar just looked so appealing, I had to get it. Cocosette is now one of my favorites. It's like a Kit-Kat but instead of chocolate, it's coconut cream. It's light and crisp and divine.
Even though it was beautiful and sunny in Medellin, it seemed like the rain was a day behind in Bogota so we hit pretty strong rain on our drive back to Tabio.
When we got back to the house, lunch was ready for us. We had ajiaco, which is a chicken and potato soup. It was so delicious! The broth is thick and rich and creamy because some of the potato breaks down and thickens it. I loved this meal.
CUCHIPANDA
After lunch, we went grocery shopping (so I could teach L and N how to make cookies and bread) and we stopped by Cuchipanda for a snack.
L had the same pastries as last time (pastel gloria) and I had tiramisu. Even though it's traditionally Italian, I figured since Colombia has such great coffee, it would be a good dessert to try, and it was.
Then we spent the next few hours making bread and cookies. We made Texas Roadhouse rolls (complete with cinnamon butter) and chocolate chip cookies. And then we tucked in for an early night.
The next morning, we woke up bright and early so everyone, except me, could do a bike ride. I just followed along in a car because I was definitely still too weak to bike the route they were planning. They wanted to bike to Subachoque.
Because it was Good Friday, their usual breakfast spot was closed so we ended up at a tiny cafe in the heart of the town, just off the main square.
I got a chicken empanada and a fruit cocktail thing. The empanada was delicious. I was tempted to get another but I knew we were having paella for lunch so I resisted.
I also got to try pandebono for the first time. It's a Colombian cheese bread and sometimes it has jam in it and it's bomb.
We also met the most charming dog ever, Balu, who stole my heart. He was so soft, so well-behaved, and beautiful!
On the way back to Tabio, I bypassed the bikers so I could beat them home and bake off the Texas Roadhouse rolls for them as a reward for finishing their ride.
I also helped L's mom start lunch.
In anticipation of needing to make 10+ servings of paella, they found this humorously humongous pan to use.
The paella ended up being fantastically delicious. But honestly, I don't know how they survive in Colombia without eating more fresh vegetables! I was really craving something bright and raw.
Well, L's dad didn't think it would be fun to laze around all day so he got L and I in the car and drove us west towards L's mom's uncle's shop.
FRUTERIA Y ALGO
Because I was craving something fresh, I got a strawberry juice (effectively a strawberry smoothie) and then I munched down on some pandebono (that L's cousin made from scratch earlier that morning) and L and I shared a fresas con crema (strawberries and cream).
The cream was so rich and thick, the strawberries were beautifully ripe, this was incredibly decadent and delicious.
L's dad went for an 'especial' but they actually brought him the 'super especial' which was humongous. He shared it with us. I loved the coconut ice cream and all of the fruit.
After that, we drove home. On our way, we noticed that the moon was huge and beautiful and I tried to see if I could photograph it but I failed. So L and I watched some religious movies on television because they were broadcasting so many Jesus movies for Semana Santa (Holy Week).
xoxo.

Comments